How to Fix a Misaligned Jaw – Jaw Alignment Braces Treatment Options?
Braces are a great option to correct a bad alignment of the jaws and/or teeth. They can help bring the teeth back into a good position and correct the jaws. Problems like grinding teeth or difficulty chewing are all made better, and your teeth are also straighter. Other orthodontic appliances may help speed up the treatment or make your jaw muscles relax and feel better. In the worst cases, you may need to have jaw surgery that cuts the jaw and realigns it.
What you should know about Jaw Alignment Braces
Braces for jaw alignment corrections are a common and non-invasive solution. They can also correct any gapped, crooked, or crowded teeth at the same time. Your orthodontist in Aventura, FL 33180 may also use some supplemental devices to help improve the effectiveness or shorten your treatment time.
- Jaw alignment braces are used most often for overbites, but they can also help crossbites or underbites. In an overbite, your upper teeth are too far ahead of your lower teeth and they may even stick out.
- To help with significant cases of overbites, your orthodontist may recommend headgear. This helps shift not just the teeth but the entire upper jaw.
- A protraction device does the opposite – it moves your upper jaw forward.
- A reverse pull headgear helps with underbites by pulling the jaws back into alignment.
- Generally, there are several types of braces that can help fix jaw alignment issues, including traditional braces and ceramic braces.
How will your face change after dental braces?
One of the big goals of jaw alignment braces is to help balance your face and leave you looking more symmetrical. Your lips will be able to close over your teeth properly and you won’t have one side of your face looking sunken or lopsided.
Your braces will balance your teeth as well as your jaws, so you will have a more natural appearance and you might even find you have more confidence because of your appearance.
What are the advantages of teeth alignment treatment?
Getting a teeth alignment treatment will do wonders for your teeth and jaws. Some of the things you will notice include:
- A more natural appearance
- Less pain in your TMJ
- Fewer headaches and neck aches
- Better oral hygiene because you can brush and floss easier
Benefits of Jaw Alignment Braces
Wearing braces will also give you a number of benefits, including:
- Teeth that meet correctly so you can chew better and have improved digestion
- Improved ability to form words and therefore have less lisping
- Better wear on your dental enamel so your teeth don’t wear prematurely
- You will feel better about your smile and that leads to improved self-confidence
How important are braces for a child with buck teeth?
It is actually really important for children to get buck teeth corrected as soon as possible. Buck teeth can lead to speech impediments, poor alignment of teeth, and teasing by classmates. There is another factor, and that is possibility of damage to the teeth during PE or after school sports because their teeth protrude. An impact to the face can mean that the teeth could break or even be popped out.
Getting buck teeth corrected with a braces treatment as soon as practicable is your child’s best option to protect his or her teeth for life and ensuring that they have the best oral health. When you meet with your orthodontist near me, you can go over the treatment options and see what will be the best plan.
When should kids get braces?
Ideally your child should get braces when all or almost all of the baby teeth have fallen out and the permanent teeth have grown in. This will be between ages eight and 14. The sooner you can get the orthodontic treatment done, the better because the matrix of the jaw will start to set as your child exits their teen years and it can be a little harder to correct bite issues or dental misalignments.
Are tooth braces also useful for adults?
While most kids end up wearing braces in their tween and teen years, if you were not able to, don’t worry – it’s never too late to get braces! Adults are often now in better financial positions and they can afford to get the orthodontic work they need to correct their bite and align their teeth. You can still get all the benefits of braces as an adult. Just be mindful of the fact you may take longer than your teen because the material of your jaw bone is more solid than theirs is.
What should one know before getting braces?
You should know a few things before getting braces.
- Your overall treatment time depends in part on how well you do with your home care and not damaging your brackets and wires.
- Your appointment to get your braces put on will last about 90 minutes to two hours.
- You will likely need to modify your diet a bit while you have braces, both because your teeth will be a little achy after getting your braces on or tightened, and also to keep from damaging the wires and brackets.
- If your teeth or jaw ache at any time, you can alleviate the pain with over the counter pain relievers like ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
Are Invisalign braces safe?
Yes! Invisalign braces are completely safe because you can only get them at a dentist or orthodontist in Aventura, FL 33180. This means you will always be under the care of an expert so you will not only have someone monitoring your progress and making adjustments to your treatment plan as needed, but you also have someone to call if you have any issues.
Average time for braces teenager
Teens will wear braces for anywhere from six months to three years, depending on what needs to be done in terms of aligning the teeth and jaws. Teens will also need to make sure they have a good home care routine that involves keeping everything clean and wearing a mouth guard when playing sports.
IVANOV Orthodontic Experts, 12866 Biscayne Blvd, North Miami, FL 33181
Call us at (786) 540-1919 to schedule a free orthodontic exam.
Learn more about Dentists, Orthodontists, and Other Oral Health Care Providers at https://ivanovortho.com/what-you-can-expect-from-a-dentist-or-orthodontist/