Getting Braces and What You Should Know
Welcome to IVANOV Orthodontics, Your Neighborhood Orthodontist.
I’m doctor Pavel Ivanov an orthodontist with IVANOV Orthodontics Experts. My focus as one of Miami’s leading orthodontic specialists is to ensure my patients receive the highest quality of care to treat the many symptoms of crooked, gap teeth and bite problems without the complicated surgeries or pain. Thus, improving patient quality of life. At our Miami orthodontic center, I offer effective and enduring treatments for crooked, gap teeth and bite problems. I’m eager to provide my patients with the best results, so I’m constantly pursuing the most innovative dental braces and Invisalign treatments. Every solution that I offer for your teeth alignment is pain free and it will allow you to return to activities you love immediately. Many major dental insurances offer coverage for dental braces and you can get your insurance verified in one easy step by giving us a call at 786-540-1919. One of our insurance specialists will help you get verified and book an appointment at your earliest convenience. When you visit our orthodontic center for your appointment, I will perform a thorough orthodontic evaluation. Together we will develop customized treatment plans based on your specific needs. And schedule dental braces installation procedure right away. If you are ready to learn more about what I can do to treat misaligned teeth and bite problems book a consultation by giving us a call or visiting www.ivanovortho.com. I look forward to meeting you and making the misaligned teeth and discomfort a thing of the past.
We care about your wellness and experience and we want you to be well informed of choosing the right braces dentist.
Things to Know Before Getting Braces for the First Time
Braces are a popular and successful orthodontic treatment. Used in both adults and children, braces are an effective way in treating a variety of teeth and jaw problems. From overbite to teeth misalignment, braces offer effective treatment in a relatively considerable time frame. Despite knowing its benefits, many people still fear getting braces for the first time.
However, braces are actually nothing to fear or dread. In fact, in today’s article, we’ll take on a step-by-step journey to getting braces for the first time.
What should you know before getting braces?
The absolute first step before anything else is you will need to make an appointment with your orthodontist. After a thorough examination, your doctor will diagnose you and decide if you need braces or an alternative form of treatment. Keep in mind that there are many types of braces, and your orthodontist may provide you with several different options to choose from.
Treatment options include aligners such as Invisalign, lingual braces, headgear, traditional metal braces and more. The additional mechanics such as brackets, wires, and ligature ties come in many shapes and colors, which make it fun and easier to get accustomed to braces especially for children.
Below, is our detailed guide on everything else you should know about getting braces. Start with the website of the doctor to check reviews and testimonials.
Consulting your orthodontist
During your orthodontic consultation, the doctor will address any questions or concerns you may have regarding your dental health or any questions regarding braces treatment. This would be an ideal time to express any concerns you have with your orthodontist. Whether it is a fear of pain, specific questions on the maintenance of braces, or exact results you would like to accomplish during your treatment to improve self-esteem and overall satisfaction with your smile; your doctor can clear up all your doubts. It can help to look at some before and after photos to see successful transformations. Your orthodontist will do a head and mouth exam of your teeth and will request an X-ray taken as well, in order to provide an accurate diagnostic for your specialized treatment.
If you choose to start treatment dental impressions will be taken which are molds of your teeth. The orthodontist will need these in order to analyze your case and provide you with the best treatment option.
How are braces installed?
When it comes to wearing standard metal braces, the application process is quick and easy. Have a look at the step-by-step explanation on how braces are applied:
– Initially, your doctor will place bands on your back molars if needed. This often comes with some pressure, but no pain.
– Your orthodontist will attach metal or ceramic brackets to each tooth. A brackets purpose is to hold the wires in place. Commonly, brackets are glued to the teeth but cause no additional damage.
– The wire works in place with the brackets, actively working together to align the teeth. You may feel some pressure and tightness which is completely normal; this is also a sign the braces are working.
– The next step is inserting rubber bands also called ligature ties over the brackets. These help the wires stay in place as well as providing additional pressure for the teeth to move more efficiently. These rubber bands come in various assorted colors which make it unique and fun specially for children.
Other types of braces and aligners follow the same pattern of installation, but with slight differences in elements, depending on the device itself. Also, keep in mind that you will have to wear braces for a while, depending on your type of braces and your case.
What will my first week of getting braces be like?
When it comes to getting braces, most people fear living with them daily. However, there is nothing to fear or worry about. Once your orthodontic appliances are placed, you could experience mild discomfort or pressure. Not necessarily painful, but rather uncomfortable, the pressure is a direct result of the wires pulling the teeth towards their optimal position.
If you are feeling uneasy in the first few days after getting braces, feel free to take a mild over the counter pain reliever to help you while you adjust. At the same time, pay attention to nutrition. After getting braces, you will have to eat soft foods for example mashed potatoes, until the discomfort goes away. Foods like yogurt, oats, rice, and soup can help you avoid aches in the teeth and jaw.
How do I adapt to wearing braces daily?
Living with braces daily is not as difficult as it may seem. Still, you will likely have to make some changes in your everyday routine. Here is what you need to know about life with braces:
– You will have to steer clear of chewy and sticky food such as candy as well as carbonated drinks.
– Your treatment may require you to wear a headgear along with your braces. A headgear helps bring the teeth back in their place, and you’ll have to wear it during nighttime.
– You will have to make regular appointments to maintain your orthodontic appliances firm and effective. If you lose or break a bracket, you should see your orthodontist as soon as possible to replace it. Also, your doctor will tighten the wire as the first signs of progress manifest.
– You will have to wear your orthodontic appliances at all times over a period of one to three years.
– After completing your orthodontic treatment, you will have to wear a retainer for support. Retainers are removable and should be worn at all times during the first six months, after the six months your orthodontist may instruct you to wear them every night the rest of your life. In such a way, they sustain the work braces have done in the past years.
– You will have to keep your appliances clean. Brushing very thoroughly for a minimum of two minutes is important. It is also helpful that you clean your teeth by flossing and gargling with mouth wash. Ultimately, this practice will result in a greater effect and will keep you safe from infections. By maintaining the braces hygiene optimal, you will also avoid teeth damage, plaque build-up and other diseases.
– For extra protection, you can ask your orthodontist to prescribe fluoride-enriched mouthwash.
– You will have to floss your teeth with a flexible ‘threader’ which can reach even the most remote parts in your mouth.
– You will likely use braces wax, otherwise known as orthodontic wax. This is a specifically designed product to coat the braces’ wires and keep the device protected.
Make sure you stay informed on the types of braces available today, their uses, cost, and benefits. Each orthodontic case is different, so it is best to consult your doctor to determine the best treatment for you. Let go of any prejudices you have regarding getting braces and talk to people who have undergone the treatment as well. All in all, braces are not the enemy, but can actually help you get your dream smile with minimal effort. Book an appointment for an evaluation at Ivanov Orthodontic Experts today.
Five-Star Patient Testimonials
Amazing experience! I’ve had my braces for 6 month now and I’m impressed of how much my teeth have changed. No pain at all. Dr. Ivanov is such a sweet person and very professional, he knows what he’s doing and always cares for patients personal concerns. Highly recommended!
Dr. Ivanov was amazing. When I first got my braces I was scared it was going to last 4yrs for my teeth to look better but it only lasted 2yrs and the results are beyond amazing. I’m really happy with everything and would absolutely recommend him to anyone. Thank you so much.
Very good experience. The attention was great. The doctor is very punctual and they don’t make you wait, which for my busy schedule is super important. Also, the time the doctor told me I had to wear the braces was the exact time I needed and I was very happy with the results. Definitely recommend him.
Dr. Ivanov was amazing. He was very understanding and took the time to explain, every step of the process for my daughters braces. I am proud to say with great care her braces were finally removed and the end result is the beautiful smile she now has. Thank you
Ivan and his staff made my experience a smooth and convenient process. I am absolutely delighted and satisfied with the progress and how far my teeth has come. Ivan and his staff works effortlessly to ensure that my teeth are perfected beyond my expectations. If I had any other choice I would still choose Ivanov Orthodontic experts.
My family and I are so happy with the results of Dr. Ivanov!!! So knowledgeable, kind and always available to answer questions. I am so happy we found him and his staff. I am looking forward to addressing my dental needs now that the family is on track!!! How many can say that about their dental experts. Way to go Dr. Ivanov!!!
James C. Murphy
He is awesome. You will start seeing changes quick in your smile. He shows passion in his work, he cares about you and your smiles. The office is very nice and great customer service. You will be in good hands if you choose to go with him.