You should see an orthodontist if you have any concerns about your teeth or your bite. If you have TMJ pain or your teeth are wearing incorrectly, or even you if you cannot close your mouth fully, you are an ideal candidate for orthodontia. You might be more familiar with dentists, but they are not the same as orthodontists who specialize in improving the straightness and alignment of your teeth and jaws.
There are a few factors you need to consider when you are looking for the orthodontist near me. Not every orthodontist has the same skill set nor can he or she do all the same things as each other. Some specialize in pediatric orthodontia, while others are certified by Invisalign as an expert. There are definitely a few factors you should consider when you start looking for the nearest orthodontist.
- A top rated orthodontist is one place you can start. Many orthodontists will put their ratings on their websites, but you can also check sites like Yelp or Google for ratings and reviews also.
- If you are interested in Invisalign, you should look for someone who is an expert in Invisalign. The Invisalign website has a search feature to help you narrow down a selection of certified providers in your area.
- Modern materials mean a faster braces time. Orthodontists who are familiar with these new techniques will use heat activated wires and titanium brackets when straightening teeth to give you a more comfortable experience.
- If you have kids and you want an orthodontist who specializes in braces for kids, you should look for a pediatric orthodontist.
- Orthodontist websites will also talk about payment plans and what insurance plans the office takes. They do this because they really do want your business. It is important to the orthodontic specialist to make it possible for you to have braces and get your best smile possible.
- You can also search for an orthodontist using the American Association of Orthodontists, or AAO, site. They will have a listing of quality orthodontists who are members of the AAO, meaning they meet the quality standards set forth by the organization.
- One added thing to consider – are they close by? If you live in Miami Shores FL 33138 you probably don’t want to drive completely across the city to get to your appointments, so finding an orthodontist nearby is crucial.
What can an orthodontist do for you?
When you choose an orthodontist, you get a professional who can help correct your crooked teeth or bite alignment issues. They have a variety of tools and appliances that they can use to give you the perfect smile you deserve.
- Invisalign is a very popular teeth straightening technique. It uses clear aligners, kind of like form fitting mouth guards, to gently move your teeth into their new position almost invisibly. The older versions of Invisalign were great for crooked teeth, but newer iterations can even correct issues like overbites or crossbites. Dental offices can do Invisalign, but if you want the best orthodontic care possible, you should stick to getting your care from an orthodontist.
- Classic metal braces that we are all familiar with are of course also available. They are the least expensive type of orthodontic services available, and they are also the most effective in accomplishing your goals fast.
- Ceramic braces are much like metal braces except the brackets are made from a tooth-colored ceramic material so they are much less noticeable. This is why they are so popular with adults.
- If you want the speed of metal braces but you don’t want to see them at all and you have a larger budget, you can look into lingual braces. These are braces installed on the back sides of your teeth – the lingual or tongue side.
Getting started with an orthodontist
To get started with an orthodontist, after you have done your research, give the office a call and set up an initial free consultation. This is your chance to kind of interview your orthodontist and see if you like the way they work. Remember, this is someone you will be working closely with for a couple of years, so you want to be sure that they are a good match.
This also includes checking out the office. Is it warm and inviting? Are there activities for the kids? Is the office staff helpful and friendly? If you are bringing your kids here, it needs to be a place you don’t mind waiting.
Ask to see their before and after photos also. An orthodontist is a dental artist and no doubt will be more than happy to show you what they can do.
At that initial meeting, your orthodontist will look over your teeth and jaw, and probably take an X-ray to see what your jawbone matrix looks like to ensure you are a good candidate for dental braces. You are never too old or too young, but your orthodontist will need to make sure that the treatment plan s/he comes up with will work for you.
If you decide that this is the right orthodontist for you and you are happy with the treatment plan, your next step is to schedule an appointment to get your dental braces on. This will be one of the longest appointments you will have, probably around 90 minutes to two hours. This is when your orthodontist will affix the brackets to your teeth and then run the arch wire through them. You may also be given elastics to attach to the brackets in key places to help move the teeth faster or to adjust a bite issue.
Whatever the treatment plan is, it is very important that you keep all of your appointments and follow your orthodontist’s instructions. The better you are at following these steps, the faster you can get done with your braces and the sooner you can start enjoying that great smile.
There are fast ways of finding the nearest orthodontist, and then there are the right ways. Fortunately, the right way is not hard. You will want to do some research and schedule an appointment to check out the office before you commit to any orthodontic treatments, but again, this is painless. An orthodontist worth your time will give you a free consultation, and also go over all of your options. Whether you choose a pediatric orthodontic specialist or a general orthodontist, when you feel comfortable in the office and like what you see and learn, you will know you have found the right person for your orthodontic care.
IVANOV Orthodontic Experts, 12866 Biscayne Blvd, North Miami, FL 33181
Call us at (786) 540-1919 to schedule a free orthodontic exam.
Learn more about All About How You Can Find Invisalign Near Me at